We are not currently accepting proposals, but keep an eye out for the next open call in the upcoming months!
Be sure to follow the submission guidelines below, and only submit if you are able to complete your manuscript within 6-12 months from acceptance. We’ll work out individual timelines for books, and some may have longer deadlines, but we’ll need an initial commitment to a fairly quick turnaround.
If you would like to submit a proposal for a 33 1/3 volume, please submit all of the following to email@example.com.
Submit the content below in one single document as either .doc, .docx or .pdf. No .rtf files will be accepted. Please put your name, album, and artist in the subject line of the email.
Once the submission window closes, it will take us a couple of months to sift through proposals. We will alert the authors of successful proposals through e-mail, as well as post the final list to the blog.
Thank you so much to everyone for your interest in submitting to the series, and we can’t wait to see what you come up with!
1. 2–3 pages that describe the book.
2. A concise description of the book (up to 200 words).
3. A 5-page sample from anywhere in the book.
4. 3 short points that emphasize the unique aspects of your proposed book.
5. A 1-page table of contents for the book with chapter titles and light annotation if desired.
6. Your professional CV/resume, including full contact details and 200 word bio.
7. A 1-page marketing plan (with comparable titles and suggestions for finding an audience).
8. The amount of time it will take you to complete your manuscript.
Q: Do you have examples of successful pitches to share?
A: Yes, in our textbook How To Write About Music there is a chapter titled “How To Pitch a 33 1/3″ that is worth reading.
Q: I would really like some advice on which album to write on, or constructive criticism on my proposal. Can I write to you about this?
A: Very sorry but we just don’t have the time or resources to do that.
Q: There is already a book in the series by the same artist as the one I’m proposing, will you consider two albums by the same artist?
A: Yes. There are two albums by Radiohead, two by the Beach Boys, two by David Bowie, and two by The Rolling Stones in the series already.
Q: I submitted a proposal previously that didn’t make it. Can I re-submit?
A: This time around we’re asking that you do not re-submit proposals. However, feel free to submit one on a different album.
Q: Can I submit multiple proposals?
A: Just one proposal per person per open call, please!
Can’t wait to see what you’ve got!