If it’s alright with you, I’ll continue with the bullet point style from Friday…
* One of the most common questions we get around here is “When’s the next call for proposals?” so I thought I’d quote David from a few weeks back:
Upcoming call for Proposals
Still no decision on this, but I’m crossing my fingers that we’ll be able to announce an open call for proposals at some point in October – more details as soon as I have them, obviously.
* By Friday afternoon we will have a winner for the TWO FREE PASSES to All Tomorrow’s Parties featuring My Bloody Valentine in upstate New York. Until then, here’s how to get your name in the hat.
* Saturday, AUGUST 30th at 6:00pm! In Los Angeles! At Metropolis Books! 3 x 33 1/3. Kim Cooper, David Smay, and Hayden Childs will be talking about Neutral Milk Hotel, Tom Waits, and Richard & Linda Thompson, respectively.
* New York Magazine’s Vulture blog has an excerpt from Stephen Davis’s new band bio of Guns N Roses. This year at Book Expo in downtown L.A., the “DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE? YOU’RE IN THE JUNGLE, BABY” phrase became something like a mantra for me. Here’s the story of where it came from. (Turns out it’s a little closer to home.)
* Vulture has also alerted us to the fact that WFMU’s “The Best Show” host Tom Scharpling wants to write a 33 1/3 on Kris Kross, Styx, Paul Simon, or LA Guns… I’ll let David handle this when he gets back from vacation, but until then, see point #1 above. I’m knee deep in the Sifl and Olly manuscript right now…good stuff.
(The amazing Kris Kross cover art above comes from Omar’s detailed Best Show recaps.)
* While we’re on the subject, now’s as good a time as any to put up this amazing clip set to frequent “Best Show” guests Ted Leo and the Pharmacists’ “Me and Mia.” Mesmerising…