If you’ve ever suspected that Scotland might produce more great pop music per capita than any other country in the world, and you’re the type of person who likes nothing better than having your suspicions confirmed, then you might do well to get your hands on a copy of Get While The Getting’s Good, a brand new compilation of (mostly) young Scottish bands, on the (yes, German-based) Aufgeladen Und Bereit label. (Scroll down just a bit to get to the album.)
There’s hardly a duff song on the record, but particular highlights currently include:
* “Barcelona” by Jock Scot and Gareth Sager – a spoken word piece about drinking, and being ripped off while drinking.
* “Mail, Alice” by Wake the President – a chiming, jangling slice of C86 pop that trounces almost everything on the recent retrospective compilation of the same name, curated by Bob Stanley.
* “Hurry Monkey Hurry” by Tibi Lubin – one of those songs where, if it weren’t for the title, you’d have no idea what was being sung in the chorus. Confident, sexy, and a little David Lynchy.
* “A Year in a Comprehensive” by Popup – a hilarious and biting tale of a posh girl spending a year at a not-so-posh school. And all done in just over 90 seconds!
* “Brand New Song” by the Pendulums – utterly beyond my descriptive powers, but wonderful.
* “Handstand” by Down the Tiny Steps – hypnotic and gorgeous, reminds me slightly of the Books’ early stuff.
7 Thoughts to “Get While The Getting’s Good”
runescape money runescape gold runescape money runescape gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft Power Leveling Warcraft PowerLeveling buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items runescape gold runescape money runescape accounts runescape gp dofus kamas buy dofus kamas Guild Wars Gold buy Guild Wars Gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro gold lotro gold buy lotro goldrunescape money runescape power leveling runescape money runescape gold dofus kamas cheap runescape money cheap runescape gold Hellgate Palladium Hellgate London Palladium Hellgate money Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money Tabula Rasa Credit Tabula Rasa Credits Hellgate gold Hellgate London gold wow power leveling wow powerleveling Warcraft PowerLeveling Warcraft Power Leveling World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling runescape powerleveling eve isk eve online isk eve isk eve online isk 血管瘤 肝血管瘤 音乐剧 北京富码电视 富码电视 富码电视台 7天酒店 7天连锁酒店 7天连锁 自清洗过滤器 过滤器 压力开关 压力传感器 流量开关 流量计 液位计 液位开关 温湿度记录仪 风速仪 可燃气体检测仪
it is a pleasure to see a cool German label supporting Scottish music and this album is an amazing listen, which popup were pleased to be involved with.Alecwww.myspace.com/popup
Hey guys.. Erik from Wake the President here, i stumbled across this and though i might let you knoe our 7″ single is on sale: here:http://www.puregroove.co.uk/preorder.asp?Genre=11 Cheers!
As far as I know you can only get this through the label’s site – shipping is only 4 Euros, though. (I have no idea how much that is.)
Anyone know where this might be available in the States?
Seems fitting that a German label with that name would release a comp of Scottish bands, since the name is taken from the title of an US release from 1981 by one of Scotland’s finest bands — the Fire Engines’ “Aufgeladen und bereit für Action und Spass” (1981) — it’s basically their UK album “Lubricate Your Living Room” plus the “Candy Skin” single.
How’s Barcelona? I’m a fan of spoken word.