The submission window is currently open! It will close midnight EST 29th March 2024.
Be sure to follow the submission guidelines below, and only submit if you are able to complete your 30,000 word manuscript within 6-12 months from acceptance. We’ll work out individual timelines for books, and some may have longer deadlines, but we’ll need an initial commitment to a fairly quick turnaround. If you would like to submit a proposal for a 33 1/3 volume, please submit all of the following to email@example.com.
Submit the content below in a single document as a Word doc or pdf. No Google Docs, please. Important: Please use this exact format for both the subject line of your e-mail and the name of your document: Artist name, album name, your initials.
Once the submission window closes, it will take us a couple of months to sift through proposals. We will alert the authors of successful proposals through e-mail, as well as post the final list to the blog. For a full list of albums already covered in the series, please see our list of published and forthcoming books here on our website.
- 2-3 pages that describe the book.
- A concise description of the book (up to 200 words).
- A 5-page sample from anywhere in the book.
- A one-line description of the book summing up its scope and content.
- 3 short points that emphasize the unique aspects of your proposed book.
- A 1-page table of contents for the book with chapter titles and light annotation if desired.
- Your professional CV/resume including full contact details and 200 word bio.
- A 1-page marketing plan (with comparable titles and suggestions for finding an audience).
- The amount of time it will take you to complete your manuscript.
Q: I would really like some advice on which album to write on, or constructive criticism on my proposal. Can I write to you about this?
A: We’re very sorry but we just don’t have the time or resources to do that.
Q: There is already a book in the series by the same artist as the one I’m proposing, will you consider two albums by the same artist?
A: Yes. There are two albums by Radiohead, two by the Beach Boys, two by David Bowie, and two by The Rolling Stones in the series already. However, it’s important to justify the addition of a second album from an artist for inclusion in the series.
Q: I submitted a proposal previously that didn’t make it. Can I re-submit?
A: We ask that you do not re-submit proposals. However, feel free to submit one on a different album.
Q: Can I submit multiple proposals?
A: Just one proposal per person per open call, please!
Can’t wait to see what you’ve got!