Be sure to follow the submission guidelines below, and only submit if you are able to complete your 30,000 word manuscript within 6-12 months from acceptance. We’ll work out individual timelines for books, and some may have longer deadlines, but we’ll need an initial commitment to a fairly quick turnaround.
If you would like to submit a proposal for a 33 1/3 volume, please submit all of the following to email@example.com.
The deadline is May 17th, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST.
Submit the content below in one single document as either .doc, .docx or .pdf. No .rtf files will be accepted.
Important: Please use this exact format for both the subject line of your e-mail and the name of your document: Artist name, album name, your initials.
Once the submission window closes, it will take us a couple of months to sift through proposals. We will alert the authors of successful proposals through e-mail, as well as post the final list to the blog.
1. 2–3 pages that describe the book.
2. A concise description of the book (up to 200 words).
3. A 5-page sample from anywhere in the book.
4. *New to this submission round*: A one-line description of the book summing up its scope and content.
5. 3 short points that emphasize the unique aspects of your proposed book.
6. A 1-page table of contents for the book with chapter titles and light annotation if desired.
7. Your professional CV/resume, including full contact details and 200 word bio.
8. A 1-page marketing plan (with comparable titles and suggestions for finding an audience).
9. The amount of time it will take you to complete your manuscript.
Q: Do you have examples of successful pitches to share?
A: Yes, in our textbook How To Write About Music there is a chapter titled “How To Pitch a 33 1/3″ that is worth reading.
Q: I would really like some advice on which album to write on, or constructive criticism on my proposal. Can I write to you about this?
A: We’re very sorry but we just don’t have the time or resources to do that.
Q: There is already a book in the series by the same artist as the one I’m proposing, will you consider two albums by the same artist?
A: Yes. There are two albums by Radiohead, two by the Beach Boys, two by David Bowie, and two by The Rolling Stones in the series already.
Q: I submitted a proposal previously that didn’t make it. Can I re-submit?
A: This time around we’re asking that you do not re-submit proposals. However, feel free to submit one on a different album.
Q: Can I submit multiple proposals?
A: Just one proposal per person per open call, please!
Can’t wait to see what you’ve got!