I found solace from the late July heat at Output in Brooklyn to listen to Air’s Moon Safari without interruption. Classic Album Sundays, an event series that takes place in London, New York and other cities around the world, allows music fans to listen to albums with brilliant sound and clarity…and with zero distraction.
Music fans gather on a Sunday afternoon at a selected location (Output in Brooklyn and The Hanbury Arms in London) to drink, mingle with other fans and listen. A carefully-selected speaker plays an intro set of songs relating to the album and then delivers a presentation. Then, the needle drops and the whole room melts into listening mode.
It’s like a 33 1/3 book condensed into one afternoon.
Classic Album Sundays takes sound very seriously. The “audio menu” is listed on the site after each event.
Moon Safari’s presenters, Ron Like Hell and Colleen Murphy, spun these tracks before the album dropped:
1. Les Goths – Le jour Etait Gris
2. Les Missles – Fume Fume Fume (French vocal cover of The Beach Boys “Fun. Fun. Fun”)
3. Alex Gopher – Gordini (AIR Brakes Mix)
4. Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin – Les Sucettes
5. Pierre Henry – Teen Tonic
6. Air – Sexy Boy (EDC Flower Pistols remix)
7. Serge Gainsbourg – L’Hotel Particulier
8. Jean Jacques Perry – Percolator
9. Claude DeJean – Kiss This
10. Jane Birkin – Kawasaki
11. Air – Dirty Trip
12. Alans Parson Project – Nucleus
13. Michel Colombier – My Fairy In The Crystal Reeds
14. Air – Remember (David Whitaker mix)
15. Giorgio Moroder – The Myth (fr: Cat People OST)
16. Mozesli – Love And Slackness (Alex Gopher mix)
17. Motorbass – Bad Vibes
18. ELO – The Whale
19. Air – People In The City (Modjo Version)
20. Air – Les Professionnels
21. Air – Cherry Blossom Girl (Hope Sandoval version)
22. Air & jean Jacques Perry – Cosmic Bird
23. A Remeniscient Drive – Life Is Beautiful
The next album is Cocteau Twin’s Blue Bell Knoll on September 8th in New York and September 15th in London.