As mentioned below, Powell’s Books is running a buy 2, get 1 free deal on 33 1/3’s, and have asked 33 1/3 authors to write some guest posts for their blog. Here is your update.
* The Smiths author Joe Pernice on William Gibson amongst other things.
* Pet Sounds author Jim Fusili on the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, and the finer points of “cool.”
* Armed Forces author Franklin Bruno on Elvis Costello and his R&B lineage (amongst other things).
* James Brown Live at the Apollo author Douglas Wolk offers up four books that influenced his book rather heavily.
* and My Bloody Valentine – Loveless author Mike McGonigal takes the reader on a virtual tour of Powell’s and recommends one dozen rectangular things made of paper that he enjoys and thinks perhaps you might also.
What came before:
* Highway 61 Revisited author Mark Polizzotti outs himself as a lover of the Moody Blues. (I used to own a well-worn copy of the 101 Strings tribute to Moody Blues! Guilty pleasures, indeed…)
* A Tribe Called Quest author Shawn Taylor on “Who Owns the Art?”
* Exile on Main Street author Bill Janovitz on the Beatles, parenthood, and nostalgia.
* The Ramones author Nick Rombes on Jimmy Carter, the 1970s, and the Electric Eels.
* The Smiths’ Meat Is Murder author Joe Pernice on William Gibson.
* Editor David Barker on the 33 1/3 series here.
* Dusty in Memphis author Warren Zanes on the aforementioned David Barker here.
* Belle & Sebastian author Scott Plagenhoef on the online release of Radiohead’s “In Rainbows” is here.
…and what the future holds:
* Led Zep author Erik Davis on vikings, black metal, and pumping iron (seriously, folks!)
* Minutemen author Mike Fournier recommends various and sundry items for you to seek out and enjoy.
…and many more to follow!